MARIN claims breakthrough in realtime vessel motion prediction
Equipment & Technology - December 12, 2008
Maritime Research Institute Netherlands (MARIN) has announced that, working in close co-operation with OceanWaves GmbH and the University of Technology Delft, it has developed a new method to predict vessel motions two minutes ahead of the actual motion.
"This capability is paramount for offshore operations which are critically dependent on wave induced motions but only need a short quiescent period to conduct the operation safely," said MARIN in a statement.
"Examples of such operations are float-over-installation, ROV-handling, lift-on/off and helicopter landing. With the use of smaller vessels for well intervention, drilling, survey and installation, this capability is paramount for safety and workability within the oil and gas industry."
The new approach developed by MARIN and its partners uses remote wave sensing by means of X-band radar data processing, application of an advanced wave propagation model, and the use of computed vessel motion characteristics.
Critical in this computational method is the time required to conduct the data processing.
The complete chain of data processing was installed, verified and demonstrated with a monitoring campaign on board an 80m support vessel operating on DP offshore Norway.
By measuring the remote wave condition with a directional wave rider buoy, the local waves with a level gauge radar, and vessel motions in six modes by means of a motion sensor unit, a good reference data set was obtained for validating the system.
Results of the On-board Wave and Motion Estimator (OWME) Joint Industry Project (JIP) were presented and discussed recently by the participating companies in the FPSO JIP Week in Bilbao.
More articles from this category
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014
- SeaBird awarded Letter of Award for Osprey Explorer
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 7, 2014