Group Bourbon confirms crew members from Bourbon Sagitta kidnappedNews // November 3, 2008
Bourbon has confirmed that 10 crew members from Bourbon Sagitta were kidnapped late last week off Cameroon.
A number of armed men boarded Bourbon Sagitta, an anchor handler, as the vessel assist with loading operations from a field off the Bakasi Peninsula (180km from Douala).
Said Bourbon: "Ten of the 15 crew members (two from Cameroon, one Tunisian, one from Senegal and six French seamen) were kidnapped. No one was injured. The ship and the staff still on board are now safe."
Bourbon said an emergency unit was immediately put together by the company, working closely with the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs, the Tunisian and Senegalese authorities and the local Cameroonian authorities.
In a subsequent statement, Bourbon said diplomatic moves at the highest level were underway, and that the latest news it had was that the Cameroonian Bakassi Freedom Fighters group had claimed responsibility for the attack, through a press agency.
The claim is still being verified by the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.