Tidewater accelerates repair work
News - August 11, 2000
Tidewater provides a range of service vessels to the offshore oil and gas industry, where fleet size, utilisation and vessel day rates primarily determine revenues and operating profit because operating costs.
Apart from fuel and crew-related costs, repair and maintenance account for a large proportion of the company's operating costs, so the timing and of repair jobs and the extent of work required are critical.
Whenever possible, explains Tidewater, its ships are dry-docked seasonally, in order to minimise the impact on vessel operations, and are only carried out if economically justified, given the vessel's age and physical condition.
This year, the company decided to significantly increase the number of vessels it put into dry-dock in the first and second quarters of Fiscal Year (FY) 2001, in order to have the equipment ready for service in anticipation of improvements in the marketlater this fiscal year.
No less than ships were 50 dry-docked during the first and second quarters of FY 2001, and approximately 35 more are scheduled for the second quarter of fiscal 2001.
Tidewater says the decrease in its operating profit in the first quarter was due primarily to increases in repair and maintenance costs incurred from such an intense dry-docking programme.
Twenty-five ships were dry-docked in the second quarter of this year whilst vessel demand and average day rates in the domestic market remained low, thus sacrificing short-term profitability in anticipation of higher average day rates when market conditions in the Gulf of Mexico improve. Another 25 ships were dry-docked outside the US, says Tidewater.
More articles from this category
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014
- SeaBird awarded Letter of Award for Osprey Explorer
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 7, 2014