Offshore Shipping Online

A publication for the offshore shipping industry published by Clarkson Research

  • Offshore Intelligence Monthly
  • Menu

    Mammoet Shipping changes name to BigLift

    News // December 1, 2000
    Early next year, Mammoet Shipping BV will change its name to BigLift Shipping BV and continue its heavy lift shipping and transportation operations under the trade name BigLift.

    BigLift will continue to operate the familiar fleet of 13 yellow and blue, specialised heavy lift vessels, carrying project cargoes and heavy lifts. The majority of these vessels are multi-purpose and are also suitable to carry any kind of dry cargo, forest products, steel, containers, even bulk.

    Following a transfer of shares on 21 November BigLift has become a full subsidiary of Spliethoff, the largest shipowner in the Netherlands.

    Spliethoff had owned 70 per cent of the shares of Mammoet Shipping since 1995, the remaining 30 per cent being in the hands of Mammoet Transport, the specialist in movement of heavy lifts on land.

    In July of this year, Mammoet Transport was sold by the Nedlloyd Group to the Dutch family-owned heavy lift company Van Seumeren. The new owners subsequently decided to dispose of the shipping interests and offered their shares to majority shareholder Spliethoff.

    As Mammoet Transport/Van Seumeren decided to merge their land-based heavy lift operations worldwide and use the Mammoet trade name and logo, it became necessary to find a new identity for the shipping activities.

    The name BigLift was selected as excellently representing the company's operations. The new trade name will be introduced in the company's house style, brochures, and ships' livery early next year.

    More articles from this category

    More news