Revised offshore safety guidelines hailed as "models of best practice"
Organisations and Associations - January 3, 2003
"Guidelines for the Safe Packing and Handling of Cargo to and from Offshore Locations" have been released by the UK Offshore Operators Association (UKOOA), which also worked jointly with the Chamber of Shipping to issue "Guidelines for the Safe Management and Operation of Offshore Support Vessels".
The updated guidelines were officially launched on Gulf Offshore North Sea Ltd's new owner-operated anchor handling tug supply vessel "MV Highland Courage" which arrived in Aberdeen from Norway on Monday, 16 December to take up service in the North Sea.
They are endorsed by StepChange in Safety, the Marine Safety Forum, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, the British Rig Owners Association and the International Association of Drilling Contractors as well as RMT and NUMAST.
The cargo handling guidelines have been revised to take into account recent changes in legislation relating to the carriage of dangerous goods on offshore supply vessels and to recognise lessons learned over the past year with regards to potential dropped objects.
Key revisions to the offshore support vessel guidelines include updated sections on procedures for tank cleaning, joystick operations, mobilising and demobilising in port, carriage of dangerous goods and overboard discharges. A new section on accountability for safety has also been introduced.
"The guidelines are being used as an essential tool in the drive to raise safety awareness on offshore vessels and within the supply chain across the oil and gas sector. They are widely acknowledged as setting the standard for best safety practice," saidDuncan Cursiter of Shell U.K. Exploration and Production and member of the Marine Safety Forum set up to improve safety performance in the marine sector.
Both publications are available on CD-Rom from UKOOA publications on Tel. 020 7802 2400 or www.oilandgas.org.uk.
More articles from this category
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014
- SeaBird awarded Letter of Award for Osprey Explorer
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 7, 2014