Offshore Shipping Online

A publication for the offshore shipping industry published by Clarkson Research

  • Offshore Intelligence Monthly
  • Menu

    BP awards contracts for largest ever Gulf of Mexico discovery to Subsea 7

    News // October 11, 2002
    Subsea 7 has announced that it has been awarded a major subsea installation contract with a value of over $30 million by BP for its Thunder Horse and Atlantis developments in the Gulf of Mexico (GoM) at depths of 6000 and 7000 feet respectively.

    Located in block MC776 of the Boarshead Basin, 125 miles South East of New Orleans, the Thunder Horse development is the largest offshore discovery ever made in the GOM. The host facility is a semi-submersible production, drilling and quarters vessel (PDQ).

    The Atlantis field is the third largest field in the GoM, and is situated 125 miles South of New Orleans in the vicinity of Green Canyon block 743. It will be developed using a moored semi-submersible production facility and will also have a separate dedicated semi-submersible drilling unit.

    The work scope of the projects includes, for Thunder Horse, the installation of subsea structures and controls including umbilicals totaling over 60 km in length, flying leads and rigid jumpers. For Atlantis, the installation comprises umbilicals totaling over 42 km in length with options for flying leads.

    Thunder Horse is operated by BP with a 75% equity interest. ExxonMobil holds the remaining 25%. Atlantis is operated by BP with a 56% interest, Australia based BHP Billiton holds a 44% interest.

    More articles from this category

    More news