New capping stack for Saldanha Bay
News - October 11, 2013
Oil Spill Response Limited (OSRL), the global oil spill response co-operative funded by more than 160 oil and energy companies, has opened a new base in Saldanha Bay, South Africa, to support regional and global response operations. The base houses well capping equipment designed to shut-in an uncontrolled subsea well, marking a major advancement in Africa’s oil spill response capability.
The Saldanha capping stack is available to oil and gas companies across the industry through OSRL’s Subsea Well Intervention Service (SWIS) which provides for swift subsea incident response around the world.
The integrated subsea well intervention system includes four capping stacks suitable for international use and two hardware kits for debris clearance, BOP intervention and the subsea application of dispersant at a wellhead. The equipment can be used for the majority of known subsea wells in water depths up to 3000m.
The SWIS equipment is currently stored in three international locations - Stavanger, Norway; Singapore; and Saldanha Bay, South Africa; and is maintained ready for immediate mobilisation and onward transportation by sea and/or air in the event of an incident.
Further capping and dispersant equipment will be delivered for storage in Brazil by the end of this year. A global containment solution is also being developed to supplement the intervention system and will be ready for use by the end of 2014.
SWIS is the culmination of unprecedented industry collaboration. In 2011, nine international oil and gas companies formed the Subsea Well Response Project (SWRP), pooling resources to develop equipment that could enhance subsea well control capability. OSRL collaborated with SWRP to make this equipment available for the benefit of wider industry, and companies can now subscribe to SWIS to incorporate this essential subsea well contingency into their own incident response plans.
More articles from this category
- Divex secures contract for saturation diving system
Equipment & Technology - August 22, 2014
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014