Turbine access system completes trials
Equipment & Technology - October 2, 2012
Houlder and BMT Nigel Gee have announced that their jointly developed Turbine Access System (TAS) has successfully completed an extensive set of offshore trials.
The TAS was fitted to Turbine Transfers’ 24m Cemlyn Bay for a four week trials period at RWE’s Rhyl Flats offshore windfarm.
The TAS is a lightweight motion compensated gangway that provides substantially improved access to offshore wind turbines for maintenance personnel.
The comapnies claim that it "considerably increases the level of safety and operability," both of which are prime goals for offshore wind farm operators and developers.
A key feature of the TAS is that it can be fitted to a wide range of existing windfarm support vessels a it does not require the host vessel to have DP nor does the TAS platform connect to the turbine structure in any way.
Cemlyn Bay made multiple trips to the RWE site, 8km North West of Llandudno, completing trials on 21 September. Despite experiencing wave heights in excess of 1.8m, the TAS gangway provided a stable transfer platform with the system performing within its safe operating limits.
Frederic Perdrix, Houlder Chief Technology Officer, commented “It’s one thing seeing an animation but actually seeing it on a wind turbine in heavy seas was most impressive”.
Hazel Phillips, General Manager at Turbine Transfers commented: “We have been very impressed by the performance of the TAS and believe that this provides a step change in transfer safety and operability”.
Further assessment of the TAS is now planned as RWE, supported by the Carbon Trust, has shown interest in undertaking further trials.
More articles from this category
- Divex secures contract for saturation diving system
Equipment & Technology - August 22, 2014
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014