Rolls-Royce delivers new thruster
Equipment & Technology - September 24, 2012
Rolls-Royce has delivered the first of its newly-developed permanent magnet tunnel thrusters (TT-PM) to Olympic Shipping, who will operate the thruster on Olympic Octopus.
Delivered in 2007, Olympic Octopus is a Rolls-Royce design UT 712 L anchor-handling vessel (AHTS).
Rolls-Royce says the TT-PM offers numerous advantages over traditional tunnel thrusters, including a 25 per cent increase in power output of from the same size propeller and a significant reduction in noise and vibration. It can be removed underwater, eliminating the need for dry docking.
Anders Almestad, President - Offshore, Rolls-Royce said: "We are delighted that Olympic Shipping is the first customer to select our new tunnel thruster.
"This cutting edge technology is suitable for a range of applications in offshore and merchant vessels, where operators will benefit from its high power output and rapid response to power demand, combined with exceptionally low noise levels."
"The new thruster is quiet, efficient and extremely durable," he said. "It is capable of running for thousands of hours in intensive operations such as the harsh conditions of the offshore oil and gas fields, where rapidly varying loads and alternating thrust directions are the norm."
The new thruster design concept comprises a permanent magnet motor in a rim, which drives the propeller in the centre. The permanent magnet motor consists of a stator that carries a number of electrical coil windings, and a rotor fitted with a number of very strong permanent magnets.
Having the motor in the rim frees up space directly above the thruster where thruster motors are normally located, making the thruster room available for other equipment or alternative use.
More articles from this category
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014
- SeaBird awarded Letter of Award for Osprey Explorer
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 7, 2014