New world record for freefall lifeboat
Equipment & Technology - August 13, 2012
Lifeboat and davit manufacturer Schat-Harding has set a new freefall lifeboat record with its new generation FF1200 boat. The boat was successfully dropped from a freefall height of 60m. The world record drop was conducted as part of the certification tests of the boat.
“The FF1200 managed this height in an excellent way,” says Geir Arne Veglo, CEO of Umoe Schat-Harding Equipment AS. “The FF1200 entered the water cleanly and made excellent headway.”
The boat was loaded with seven tonnes to simulate the full capacity of 70 100kg people. As part of the test, the engine was started immediately and was left running for four hours along with different manoeuvring tests.
The FF1200 is the only lifeboat that has completed the full-scale tests set by the new requirements for freefall lifeboats on the Norwegian Continental Shelf, DNV-OS-E406 standard. After the freefall test this week, the FF1200 is now the highest certified freefall lifeboat.
Thee ability to drop safely from greater heights is required as offshore installations get larger. The FF1200 was designed for that purpose and to meet stringent new standards for performance in heavy seas which will facilitate the evacuation of rigs and installations in the Norwegian North Sea.
“This lifeboat has been well received in the market. Schat-Harding has already secured orders for 47 systems and is now receiving more requests for new projects. We have exciting times ahead as the Norwegian and global offshore markets develop,” says Veglo.
The FF1200 boat can carry 70 persons secured in special seats with 5 point harnesses. After dropping into the water the boat momentum carries it clear of the rig, after which a high power 280 hp engine speeds the boat clear of the rig.
More articles from this category
- Divex secures contract for saturation diving system
Equipment & Technology - August 22, 2014
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014