IMCA produces anti-piracy and hostage situation awareness DVD
Publications - July 11, 2012
Piracy is a threat to all sizes of vessels in some parts of the world. The more we know, the more we can minimise the risks and react to dangerous situations – or avoid them altogether.
To this end the International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA) has produced an Anti-Piracy & Hostage Situation Awareness DVD (IMCA SEL 028) in five languages on the one DVD (English, French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese) as guidance for personnel working on board vessels operating in high risk areas.
“The DVD runs for just over 15 minutes and covers a range of measures intended to compliment company anti-piracy procedures,” says Hugh Williams, Chief Executive of IMCA.
“It highlights the main areas affected, which constantly change and are the subject of differing motives, all of which could involve harm to crew members.
“Assessing the hazard, carrying out risk analysis, ensuring steps are taken to prevent the vessel coming under attack; and relevant responses are all covered – with sections devoted to protection, training, preparation and precautions.
"It also discusses the steps that should be taken if the vessel is boarded by pirates and the crew is taken hostage.
”It is in everyone’s interest to take precautions against attack, and to stay safe; we hope that many organisations will make good use of this DVD.”
Produced in conjunction with Solstad Shipping, Subsea 7 and Technip, with thanks to Team Marine as well, IMCA SEL 028 costs £10 +VAT for members and £20 + VAT for non-members and is available from www.imca-int.com (under SEL publications); and from IMCA, 52 Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0AU, UK. Tel: +44 (0)20 7824 5520; Fax: +44 (0)20 7824 5521; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
More articles from this category
- Divex secures contract for saturation diving system
Equipment & Technology - August 22, 2014
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014