Lerwick Harbour's deepwater facilities attract increased offshore industry traffic
News - May 3, 2012
Lerwick Harbour’s hub role in servicing offshore industry operations in waters around Shetland is highlighted by the latest statistics which show increased traffic in the first quarter of this year, with the tonnage of oil-related cargo and shipping both more than doubled compared with the same period in 2011.
With the number of support vessels using Lerwick up 82 per cent at 127, the tonnage rose 120 per cent at 508,575 gross tonnes, with cargo handled up 102.7 per cent at 24,254 tonnes.
The larger vessels operating in the offshore sector were the main reason for increased pilotage movements – 273, up 36 per cent, with 1.1 million gross tonnes of vessels piloted, up 32 per cent.
Victor Sandison, Lerwick Port Authority’s Deputy Chief Executive, said: “Increasing oil-related activity in the first quarter again demonstrated the value of the investment in deep-water infrastructure, including the latest berth at Greenhead which was brought into use ahead of schedule in February to support a major North Sea project.
“While specific factors had negative influence on two key sectors – passenger traffic and fish landings – the outlook for the port is positive, with the prospect of a record cruise season, which started this month, and continuing strong offshore industry activity, backed by ongoing development of facilities for the longer term.”
The first three months saw the total number of vessels calling at Lerwick up 3.7 per cent at 1,149, with overall cargo higher by 14.9 per cent at 205,406 tonnes.
More articles from this category
- Divex secures contract for saturation diving system
Equipment & Technology - August 22, 2014
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014