Idar Ulstein passes away
Company News - May 1, 2012
Idar Ulstein played a huge role in the marine industry in Norway.
Idar Ulstein, former CEO and Chairman of the board of Ulstein in Norway, passed away on 29 April 2012.
Mr Ulstein played a huge role in the marine industry in Norway, having joined the company as a 14 year old in 1948, when his father died.
After studies as a naval architect in 1962, he re-entered the company as head of design.
The company was growing, and when the Molde yard was purchased in 1964, he became manager of the new companies.
In 1974, after the merger with HatlÝ mechanical workshop, he became CEO of Ulstein HatlÝ. In 1985, the holding company Ulstein Holding was founded and Mr Ulstein became CEO.
In 2007 he resigned as CEO and became chairman. He was chairman until summer 2011.
Mr Ulstein developed a relatively small company into to a large international group, which at the end of the 1990s had 4,500 employees in more than 30 countries.
The company was listed on the stock exchange in 1997, and all activities except for shipbuilding, were acquired by Vickers and later Rolls-Royce in 1999.
Mr Ulstein continued as chairman of the new Ulstein Group, and two of his children became managers. The company today employs about 800 employees in several countries and is active in shipbuilding, design and solutions, power and control and shipping.
In 2010 he also received a "Lifetime Achievement Award" from Offshore Support Journal for his commitment and longstanding efforts for the maritime industry.
Mr Ulstein had cancer and died peacefully with his family around him at the age of 78. He leaves behind him a wife, five children and nine grandchildren.
More articles from this category
- Divex secures contract for saturation diving system
Equipment & Technology - August 22, 2014
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014