DNV launches new jack-up rule book
Publications - May 1, 2012
DNV has launched a rulebook for self-elevating units that will guide designers and yards to class their designs and newbuilding projects.
The rule book clearly explains the DNV and international regulations and standards.
Adaptations from the traditional Offshore Standards include additional class notations and alignment of material and jacking systems requirements based on feedback from industry experts and adapted survey procedures.
The rule book for self-elevating units clearly provides the specific considerations required for jack-ups to prevent interpretations that may lead to imposing additional requirements without any safety benefits.
These considerations are especially relevant for Jack-ups, taking into account their dual fixed/ floating nature.
DNV’s Offshore Class Product Manager, Michiel van der Geest, said: "We have focused on making a user friendly rule book with clear guidance. I believe that the designers and yards will now find it much easier to interpret Jack Up requirements.
"Additionally, the entire classification concept is described in a concise manner, so that full compliance can be achieved. Besides the new format the rule book, most importantly, it is based on a deep understanding of the Jack-up segments needs and standards.
“Strength and material requirements have been aligned with proven market standards. In addition, operational procedures are tailored to specific operational profiles in order to minimize interference with production schedules,” Mr van der Geest said.
Further, the book introduces the new voluntary notation Enhanced Systems (ES). This notation covers industry’s needs to demonstrate safety and reliability beyond compliance.
“It is based on our accumulated knowledge and experience and contains requirements for acceptable design solutions,” he concluded.
More articles from this category
- Divex secures contract for saturation diving system
Equipment & Technology - August 22, 2014
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014