Dickins Associates leading oil in ice project
News - April 27, 2012
Dickins Associates in Canada is leading a Joint Industry Project, one of the latest of a series of programmes aimed at developing an operational ground penetrating radar (GPR) that can detect oil trapped underneath or within sea ice from a low-level helicopter.
Whereas previous phases utilized commercially-available impulse radars operating at a single frequency, the latest programme is focused on designing, building and testing an entirely new system that is optimized for an airborne application.
Following initial testing of the first prototype in March 2011, the new radar was redesigned and improved by the engineering team at Boise State University over the course of the last year.
A second test programme at the US Army Cold Regions Research Environmental Laboratory (CRREL) in Hanover, NH was scheduled for February 2012.
A successful outcome would lead to actual flight tests over thick sea ice (without oil) at Prudhoe Bay later this winter. Participants are: Alaska Clean Seas, ExxonMobil, Shell, Statoil, ConocoPhillips and the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE).
More articles from this category
- Divex secures contract for saturation diving system
Equipment & Technology - August 22, 2014
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014