Dive support vessel sold by Marcon
Vessel & ROV News - March 2, 2011
Marcon, the well-known firm of brokers in the US, has announced that it has sold the DSV Ocean Project from Oceaneering International to private South American interests.
The Vanuatu-flagged Ocean Project (ex-Rambo, 0601, George E Darby, Janie B, Cathy B, Nordic Offshore) was built in 1972 by Bel-Aire Shipyard Ltd of North Vancouver, British Columba, Canada as an offshore supply vessel and classed ABS +A1, Ice Class A, Towing Service, +AMS, Unrestricted.
Ocean Project is powered by a pair Ruston 12RK3CM diesels totaling 5,300 bhp with Seffle CP wheels in kort nozzles and fitted with a 400hp Ulstein tunnel bow thruster.
The 185ft x 45ft x 16ft vessel was originally built as an offshore supply vessel, but converted in 1986 by Transport Canada into a Search & Rescue Vessel and to tow
small icebergs out of shipping lanes.
The Canadian government sold her into commercial use in 1993 when she was renamed Rambo under Panamanian flag.
Oceaneering purchased the vessel in 1997 and fitted her with a four-point mooring system and a sophisticated diving gear complete with two decompression chambers.
Ocean Project then worked as an offshore maintenance/repair vessel conducting platform inspections, pipeline construction, hyperbaric welding and salvage. She was used in 1999 to successfully retrieve the 2 ton Mercury space capsule Liberty Bell 7
from 16,040ft of water.
The new owners are having the vessel promptly delivered on her own bottom to Peru, where she will be put into dry-dock and refurbished before re-entering oilfield service work.
More articles from this category
- Divex secures contract for saturation diving system
Equipment & Technology - August 22, 2014
- Tidewater reports results for lastest quarter
Company News - August 21, 2014
- Chellsea takes delivery of newbuild PSV
Vessel & ROV News - August 20, 2014
- Sea Surfer joins Deep Sea Supply fleet
Vessel & ROV News - August 19, 2014
- Siem Giant enters service offshore Brazil
Vessel & ROV News - August 18, 2014
- OSBIT secures Well Ops LARS deal
Equipment & Technology - August 15, 2014
- Strategic Marine appoints Business Development Manager
Company News - August 14, 2014
- UTEC StarNet extends partnership with Sky Futures to North America
Company News - August 13, 2014
- EMGS sticks with Boa Galatea
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 12, 2014
- UK "has billions of barrels of oil" - but extracting it is more and more costly
News - August 11, 2014
- Fugro teams with WFS Technologies for wireless ROV integration
Vessel & ROV News - August 8, 2014
- DOF awarded contract offshore Brazil
Contracts, Tenders and Rates - August 8, 2014
- Sinopacific secures first contract in Mexican market
Yard News - August 8, 2014
- Summer publishing schedule
News - August 8, 2014
- SMD to supply Sistac with work-class ROV
Vessel & ROV News - August 7, 2014